There are quite a number of free video editing software packages available for Windows currently. Generally speaking, most of this free software does not have the same level of quality that you would expect to find from commercial software. However. there are some good free video editing software packages available out there that can almost perform like a professional versions.
If you’re willing pay for something, then you might instead want to choose something like this (amazon link).
However, this article, I will give you my top 5 free video editing software for Windows designed for beginners along with their pros and cons along with some user-experience reviews.
1. Ezvid Free Video Editing Software – this software is now gaining a lot of users who are looking for an easy-to-use, fast, simple, drag-n-drop, and hassle-free video editing program. It is thought to be the world’s easiest and best video and slideshow creator for Windows — and is 100% Freeware forever.
What stands out of EZVID from the rest of the free video editing software is that it is able to capture computer screen with just “one-click” of a button and has speech synthesis feature called the “text-to-speech” (TTS) system that converts normal text into a computer language where no other free video maker/editing software has ever done before and even today. It ‘s also able to splice a video, speed/slow, duplicate projects, and saves projects. There are lots of cool things you can do with Ezvid. It’s almost like an all-in-one video editing program which is very easy to use and above all, it’s totally & 100% FREE.
Plus, Ezvid supports all Windows platforms – including XP SP3, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8. It can make a slideshow or video in less than 3 minutes, there is no registration required for you to download and use the program. You have a direct Youtube upload plus free soundtrack music included. You don’t have to buy a codec or get any codec packs to install the software. Want more? It is very much easier to use than iMovie or Windows Movie Maker, no DRM, you can record your voice along with the video, and it has the drag-n-drop feature to make creating and editing your slideshow or movie easier which comes with an intuitive design – really a great alternative for WMM or Animoto or any other apps out there!
Watch this video to learn more about Ezvid:
2. Windows Movie Maker 2.6 (amazon link) – Currently the new version developed is only designed for Windows Vista users only and though it is thought to be easy to use, works well with pictures and videos, includes some video effects and can export to several formats, it is still very limited as far as functionality standpoint. This software is not really user-friendly for Windows 7 (of course because it is designed for Vista only) and does not support Windows XP which makes a plus point for EZVID.
There have been some reports of bug or problems associated with this software (see screenshot)
3. VideoSpin (amazon link) – is a free video editor based on Studio that functions almost similarly with EZVID. It has direct uploads to Youtube, easy to use, drag-n-drop feature but like any other software, it has some strict limitations and lots of bugs have been reported. It does not support Windows 7 yet, which again making a huge plus point for EZVID. It also requires one to buy a codec pack to update to a newer version.
What’s been annoying is that the application will open your Web browser to an ad for upgrades if you click on the ‘More Transitions’ from a drop-down menu and crashes every time the computer is on a standby mode. Overall, it is not advanced as other free video maker software.
VideoSpin, like any other software too can’t get away with reports of issues or problems associated with it: (see user-experience reviews)
4. VirtualDub – is a video capture and processing utility designed for frame capture of video files only. It is best at processing AVI files and can only read but not write MPEG-1 formats. It also does not possess advanced editing capabilities like Adobe Premiere Pro. Overall, this app is not as good as EZVID again because of its very limited functionality – we are looking for app right now that can almost do a variety of tasks in one software we call an “all-in-one” app pack.
Bugs and Problems with installing or using software (see screenshot)
5. Avid FreeDV (amazon link) – is another free video editing program not only for Windows but for Mac operating system as well, and includes basic video and audio editing capabilities, up to two streams of real-time effects but not as easy to use just like EZVID. However, recent update about this software is that it is no longer available and is being replaced by Avid Studio and is no longer a free version but a paid one.
Overall Ezvid is probably the easiest to use free video maker and editing software available as it will allow you to quickly perform basic video editing tasks and it’s really fast….. and the screen recording takes it over the top in terms of usability …..
Posted by: Elizabeth Maartens